Two Trees, Cultural Space Subsidy Program
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Cultural Space Subsidy Program
Two Trees Management Co
Two Trees is dedicated to maintaining a diverse group of commercial tenants that exemplify DUMBO’s identity as a place where creativity, entrepreneurship, and community engagement are celebrated. Recognizing that market rents are not feasible for all, the Cultural Space Subsidy Program dedicates 50,000 square feet of space to be awarded at below market rent to applicants that best demonstrate their capabilities and intent to provide a social benefit to DUMBO and the broader Brooklyn community.
The program is open to 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations that concentrate on arts, education, or community advocacy and programming, as well as organizations that demonstrate clarity of vision and a history of successful programming in support of their mission, regardless of non-profit status.
Professional artists with a strong exhibition history or community focused practice are also encouraged to apply.
Through the Cultural Space Subsidy Program, artists and cultural nonprofits can lease studio and office in Two Trees’ commercial buildings in DUMBO, Brooklyn. Located in landmarked, industrial loft buildings, available spaces range from 750-2,500 RSF. Historic elements have been preserved--hardwood floors, exposed mechanicals, and the original concrete superstructure--these open spaces are appropriate for open offices and artist studios, but cannot accommodate performance, theater, or rehearsal space.
Two Trees commercial buildings have shared amenities for all tenants, including communal conference rooms and roof decks. Available spaces are equipped for phone and high-speed data, and have windows, air conditioning, and heat.
License Agreement Terms
- The Two Trees Cultural Space Subsidy Program offers a reduced rate of $12/RSF per year.
- License agreements granted will be for up to three (3) years. There is no renewal option, however, tenants may re-apply at the end of their term.
- Tenant to pay all applicable common charges, real estate, and utilities.
- Tenant must obtain limited liability insurance for the duration of their lease.
- Grantees must maintain an active professional practice. The space may not be used for storage or sublet to other groups or individuals.
- Use of highly toxic chemicals, welding, or high-powered electrical equipment is prohibited.
- Living in Two Trees commercial spaces is strictly prohibited.
Application and Award Timeline
- Application period opens April 15, 2019.
- Applications are due Saturday, June 15, 2019, 11:59 PM EST.
- Recipients will be contacted in September 2019.
- License Agreements will begin in early 2020, with an expiration date of December 31, 2022.
For more information about Two Trees’ Cultural Space Subsidy Program, our buildings, and how to apply, please see our FAQ. If your questions are not answered by the FAQ, please reach out via email, email@example.com.
Please note, Two Trees is unable to accommodate unsolicited requests for subsidized rent. If you have questions about additional office or studio availabilities, please contact our leasing department at firstname.lastname@example.org.