Two Trees, Cultural Space Subsidy Program
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Cultural Space Subsidy Program
Two Trees Management Co
Two Trees is dedicated to maintaining a diverse group of commercial tenants that exemplify DUMBO’s identity as a place where creativity, entrepreneurship, and community engagement are celebrated. Recognizing that market rents are not feasible for all, the Cultural Space Subsidy Program dedicates 50,000 square feet of space to be awarded at below-market rent to applicants who best demonstrate their capabilities and intent to provide a social benefit to DUMBO and the broader Brooklyn community.
Emerging and mid-career artists with a strong exhibition history or community focused practice are eligible to apply. Artists will be evaluated with a focus placed on the quality of their work, past community engagement, and financial need.
Production studios, commercial artists, designers, theater or dance companies are not eligible to apply.
Artists and organizations that are currently participating in a different program sponsored or connected to Two Trees or the Walentas Family Foundation are not eligible to apply. Current CSSP tenants may reapply during the last year of their term.
Through the Cultural Space Subsidy Program, artists and cultural nonprofits can lease studio and office in Two Trees’ commercial buildings in DUMBO, Brooklyn. Located in landmarked, industrial loft buildings, available spaces range from 750-2,500 RSF. The majority of spaces are 1,000-1,500 RSF.
Historic elements have been preserved - hardwood floors, exposed mechanicals, and the original concrete superstructure - these open spaces are appropriate for open offices and artist studios, but cannot accommodate performance, theater, or rehearsal space.
Two Trees commercial buildings have shared amenities for all tenants, including communal conference rooms and roof decks. Available spaces have windows, air conditioning, and heat and are equipped for phone and high-speed data.
License Agreement Terms
- The Two Trees Cultural Space Subsidy Program offers a reduced rate of $12/RSF per year. At this rate, a 1,000 RSF space would carry a $1,000 monthly rent, in addition to additional fees and utilities.
- License agreements granted will be for up to three (3) years. There is no renewal option, however, tenants may re-apply at the end of their term.
- Tenant to pay all applicable common charges, real estate, and utilities and must maintain liability insurance. We recommend that tenants budget approximately $300 per month for these additional expenses, depending on the size of the space.
- All spaces are equipped for high speed data, but internet is not included. Tenants that wish to contract with an internet service provider should be aware that commercial rates are higher than residential rates.
- Tenants must maintain an active professional practice. The space may not be used for storage or sublet to other groups or individuals.
- Use of highly toxic chemicals, welding, or high-powered electrical equipment is prohibited.
- Conducting illegal activities is grounds for immediate termination.
- Living in Two Trees commercial spaces is strictly prohibited.
Application and Award Timeline
- Applications open May 1, 2022, are due May 31, 2022, 11:59 PM EST.
- Recipients will be contacted in September 2022.
- License Agreements will begin in early 2023, with an expiration date of December 31, 2025.
For more information about Two Trees’ Cultural Space Subsidy Program, our buildings, and how to apply, please see our FAQ. If your questions are not answered by the FAQ, please reach out via email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, Two Trees is unable to accommodate unsolicited requests for subsidized rent. If you have questions about additional office or studio availabilities, please contact our leasing department at email@example.com.